Saturday, February 18, 2012

Mere Coincidence vs. The Hand of God

It was Christmas day and I was exhausted. 
 Just like the rest of the world.  Tis' the season to over-do and over-spend, right?
But this was beginning to feel different.  
The exhaustion and low back aches felt familiar and inevitable. 
Two years ago Pyelonephritis (infected kidneys) landed me in the ER 
for some bazooka-sized antibiotics, IV's, and welcomed pain killing drugs. 
The problem was we were leaving the country for two weeks in the morning. 
I don't love being a hospital patient, but I especially don't love even the idea of being a hospital patient in a third world country.  

I knew it was time to ask for some help.
I asked for a Priesthood Blessing.


(Bryan and Jacob before General Conference morning session, April 5, 2009)

My Love gave me a powerful blessing, 
along with our neighbor and dear friend, 
Robert Miller (who happens to be dating 
my sister Laura-- but that's a journal entry 
for another day!)

(Robert served a mission in Indonesia 2009-2011)

Throughout the blessing I offered my own prayer:
"Father, I know I can't escape mortal experiences all the time.  
But if there is any way that we can all stay healthy 
long enough to learn and grow from the experiences available in Ecuador 
I would be so grateful!"  

Of course, Thy will be done.


The next morning we boarded the plane for Ecuador!





I am so grateful to be married to a man who often asks "Would you like a priesthood blessing?"
It makes all the difference.

Now let me finish the story.  
Two weeks of travel through Quito, Cuenca, Coca, and into the Amazon Rain Forest 
eating local food (including bugs!) 
and not one moment of travelers diarrhea, upset tummy, or anything of the sort!  
HOWEVER......
the moment the plane touched down with our return to Colorado.......
 Jacob threw up.  
And that night I got sick as well.   
I can honestly say that I've never been so grateful to be sick.  
We had been able to learn and grow and enjoy all the beauty that Ecuador had to offer.  
My prayers had been answered.
Many people would claim this to be mere coincidence.  
Maybe.  
But I would rather be guilty of giving God too much credit 
than guilty of failing to see Gods hand in our lives.

1 comment:

Robyn DeGaetano said...

Love it. And I totally agree with you. :)